You can blame Chris Reilly from Weiden+Kennedy; he's the one who convinced me that there's nothing inherently megalomaniacal about having a blog. It's just a digital diary, right? A virtual presence on the astral plane.
Still. I'm unconvinced, especially since these comments would seem to bear out the truism that all first diary entries are BORING.
List #1: Fears about blogging
1. This first post will turn out to be the last one I ever make.
2. Now everyone will know I'm as banal as they always assumed.
3. I'll turn into a brand name, like Betty Crocker or the Keebler Elves or George Bush.
4. Chris Reilly will sneer at my primitive graphic sense and expunge me from his friends list.
5. Now that I've exposed myself to public view, some practical joker will sign me up for Twitter.
6. Now that I've exposed myself to public view, no one will take any interest.
Go ahead, lurkers! Dare to be dull! Leave me a message and well, um -- we'll go from there.