Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Adventures in urban anthropology




In my neighborhood of Irvington, there is a plethora of elementary and middle schools: public, parochial, what have you (as Sister Michael Anthony used to say back when I was a pock-marked middle-schooler). Consequently, while walking the dog, I come across a lot of dropped paper items -- everything from report cards to draft-form love letters.

The note on the left arrested my attention. Obviously it's part of some sort of game; the flap on the bottom (the paper was folded up when I found it) displays several options, including to make out, to kiss or -- I think -- to "bunch." Or are all those things the same?

But it's the names that intrigue me. It's safe to say we've come a way from the bland Toms and Marys and Johns that populated my early education. I love the breadth of these appellations, but Isis? That's a lot to live up to.

3 comments:

MightyToyCannon said...

The curious researcher in me went to the Urban dictionary to look for slang uses of the word "bunch" --particularly when used as a verb. I am choosing to accept your relatively innocent guess about its meaning in the context of your fun anthropological find, rather than one of those:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=bunch&page=2

C A Wohlmut said...

Reminds me of when I was a kid I would pick out baby names for every letter of the alphabet. Isis made the cut once or twice, but not because of the goddess I must confess. But because there was a Saturday morning show with a a super hero named Isis. It was one right after Shazam!

Mead said...

MTC: thanks, first of all, for turning me on to the Urban Dictionary, which is going to improve my street cred 100%. And as for the practice of bunching, well...let's just say I look forward to using it in a sentence three times tomorrow.