Tuesday, January 19, 2010

So long, Kate

Aggrieved to hear that Kate McGarrigle died today, leaving the world bereft of both McGarrigle sisters now.

In Kate's honor, I'm posting this video of her and her family singing one of my favorite songs. She's not in her best voice, and the video's not of professional quality, but I love it that Rufus and Martha sing this with her. "Talk to me of Mendicino," while ostensibly about longing to go home, was always about death for me -- for that moment when you can finally say, this has been great, but I'm moving on.

4 comments:

Stephen said...

What sad news, what an amazing-if fucked up family. Lovely post!

Mead said...

One bright spot: trust sources rush to assure me that Anna still lives. I thought I remembered her dying in the early 90s, but perhaps that was just the last of my brain cells.

Chris 'Frog Queen' Davis said...

Very sad. Thanks for sharing that version...you have wonderful taste in music.

Cheers!

MightyToyCannon said...

Thanks for that lovely reminder. This morning, I loaded up what I call my "listener device" (alas, not an iPod) with a McGarrigle Hour album.