Saturday, January 3, 2009

New for 2009: hanging out my shingle!


Color me sentimental, but I decided January 1 was the perfect day to go live with my new business: SuperScript Editorial Services, LLP. Yeah, the name pretty much says it all. For years I’ve been taking on various editing gigs as they fell into my lap; now I’m ramping things up a notch by actually seeking new projects. Tell all your friends. Right now.

Something that’s special about this new endeavor is that while I’m happy to take on all kinds of editing projects, I’m hoping that over time I’ll skew the bulk of the work toward developmental editing. Qu’est-ce que c’est? It’s a form of consultation, really, in which the editor works with an author as s/he writes. It may include discussion of the author’s intent, the structure of the work, and questions of style, among many other factors.

To date I have a good amount of experience working developmentally with non-fiction – less so with fiction. Yet I have the audacity to seek out such work because of the decades to my credit of dramaturgical consulting. True, the deep structure of a dramatic work is inherently different than a novel or a biography. But what crosses over is the sense of knowing how to work with a writer: when the writer needs reassurance as opposed to requiring serious criticism; when a vision should be teased out just as conceived and when it needs drawing out more fully.

{ Word o’clarification, however. At present, it’s best that I not do any dramaturgical consulting under the SuperScript banner. The reason: I perceive a conflict of interest. PCS employs me to be its resident dramaturg, and I perform such work in preparation for production, in addition to serving in a curatorial capacity for JAW and the regular season. And I would never want my editing business to be regarded as a back door into the company. If I ever retire from theater (and is that even possible?), this would be different, of course. }

SO. Special for you. Since I would like to get more experience as a developmental editor of fiction, I’m currently willing to assume two or three projects on a pro bono basis. Have you got a secret novel stashed away that needs to come out of the closet? Or a classic “monster in the box” waiting to be tamed into publishable shape? Maybe we can work together. Let me know. Let’s talk.

9 comments:

k. crow said...

Whoa. Congrats and what a generous offer!

I might take you up on it since I am bored, broke and (it seems) constantly in need of a nudge when it comes to writing. Un problemo: what if I had a non-fiction book about dramaturgy?

Mead said...

Krow, how diabolically jesuitical! Well, you know I'm a sucker for a worthwhile project, so let's talk about it.

Marguerite said...

Wow, Mead. If you accepted my project it would be a dream come true!

Also, Suzanne LaGrande has a Novel she is working on - she might be interested.

Let's talk!

:)

Mead said...

Krow + Great Ms. Scott, I will call you both -- thanks for your interest!

MattyZ said...

Mead! This is really exciting. I wish you the best in this endeavor. Anyone seeking your services is lucky indeed!

MightyToyCannon said...

Congratulations and best of luck with your endeavor. I'm confident your able services will be in high demand and your offer of pro bono assistance to get going is generous.

Mead said...

Thanks so much for your enthusiasm. Indeed, the response has been overwhelming. It's thrilling to be launched by such eagerness, even if it's a while before a real revenue stream's created. Mille grazie!

Prince Gomolvilas said...

Mead, will you edit explicit erotic fan fiction? (It's a pop-up book too.)

h e r e x a c t l y said...

m,
an idea...
coffee?
x